- February 5, 2020
You or a family member clogged the toilet. It happens to the best of us. But what happens when you don’t have a plunger on hand? Have no fear. We have 9 tips and tricks that can quickly and seamlessly clear the pipes when you’re left without a plunger.
9 Tips to Unclog Your Toilet
1. The good old fashioned “hold flush.” Tried and true, and a little risky, the method involves you holding the lever and more or less praying it will unclog itself. When we say risky, we mean the toilet can continue to fill with water. If you notice this happening, stop and try tip #2.
2. Add about ½ cup of dish soap to the toilet water. Let it sit for a couple of minutes and try flushing again. The dish soap will lubricate the toilet, making it easier for the stool to go down the drain.
3. Mix together ½ cup of baking soda and 1 cup of vinegar. Let the solution get to work for about 10-20 minutes before trying to flush it down.
4. If you happen to have Epsom salt in your bathroom, add about ¼ cup to the toilet bowl. Let the salt sit for a few minutes before flushing again. The Epsom salt will work to break down the stool and push it down when you flush.
5. Create a drain snake out of a metal coat hanger. Untwist the metal hanger, forming it into a strong straight line. Then push the DIY drain snake into the clog. The force may break up the clog.
6. Use hot water. If there isn’t a lot of water in the bowl, add some hot water and let it sit for 10 minutes. Hot water helps down the stool and will allow it to flush down easier.
7. Hot water and a plastic water bottle may help. You’ll want to start with rubber gloves for this method. Fill a plastic water bottle with warm water and keep the lid off. Cover the lid with your rubber-gloved thumb. Position the water bottle in the bowl with the covered opening facing the clog. Uncover the opening and squeeze the water out and at the clog. The forced pressure may help loosen and lodge the clog out.
8. Try lemon essential oils. If you have a lemon essential oil laying around, add 10 drops into the toilet bowl and let it sit for 10 minutes. It will not only break down the stool but will help clean the bowl as it goes down too!
9. Wait it out. Sometimes if you just wait, the clog will eventually break down enough to flush down with ease.
And when all else fails – just know you tried your hardest, go buy a good plunger, and call a plumber. But don’t worry, you can still be the family hero by stocking up on butt wipes. Our Bob’s Butt Wipes, BouDé Wipes, Adventure Wipes, Little Bobbie’s Booty Wipes, and Bob’s RV & Boat Wipes are the perfect clean solution to a messy problem. Plus they’re great for the whole family-you, your wife, and the kids. Make sure your family is always prepared and feeling fresh and clean in any situation. Order now!
Other related Sterling Global Products blogs: